New sign design in our Etsy shop! This one is for a Custom Last Name Established sign - perfect for a wedding, anniversary, or housewarming gift! This rustic sign is made on a wide grey-stained board with crisp permanent white vinyl lettering. Shop this sign and more in our Etsy shop:
Summer is here and it's time for relaxing on the deck or porch, enjoying the weather, and maybe enjoying a beer too. An easy and affordable way to add some practicality and fun to your outdoor space is to simply add a bottle opener to your deck or porch railing! It takes less than 5 minutes to put up and will get use all summer long by you and your guests. | This post contains affiliate links |
I recently made this custom herb planter as part of our wedding gift for some close friends and I just love how it came out! I'd love to add something similar to the Etsy shop but not sure how to ship it... hmmmm.
PS - Congratulations again to the happy couple!! We're so happy for you both!
A few months ago, Food Network Magazine emailed me and asked if I'd be interested in designing a New Hampshire-themed egg for their Easter issue! I was completely blown away and honored for the opportunity. My New Hampshire egg design was a gold-dipped, faux birch bark egg - gold-dipped to represent our State House with it's golden dome, and the birch bark paint finish to represent our our state tree, the white birch.
Fun Fact: My great-grandfather was a steeplejack and did the gold leaf on the New Hampshire capitol dome back in the 1920's!
| This post contains affiliate links |
Creating one of these gold-dipped birch eggs for yourself is pretty simple! Here's the full how-to:
- faux egg (for the Food Network Magazine example and most of the photos in this how-to, I used an Eggnot, a fake ceramic egg - but you could also use a wooden egg. If you use real hardboiled eggs I would not recommend eating them after painting)
- gold acrylic paint
- black acrylic paint
- white acrylic paint (if your fake egg isn't already white to begin with)
- paper cup
- thin paintbrush
- tinfoil to make a stand for the egg to dry on
1. First, make a tinfoil ring to hold your egg while it dries between steps. Then if your egg isn't already white, paint white and allow to dry between coats. It may need several coats of paint.
2. Next shake the gold acrylic paint well and pour about half an inch of it into a small paper cup. Dip the top of the egg carefully into the cup. (I found it best to to do the gold-dip first, then paint the bark pattern after since sometimes the black lines were visible under the gold-dip.)
Gold paint tends to be thick and you may have some swirling or thick drips after dipping. You can try to smooth these out a bit with a paintbrush but it usually looks cleaner if you just leave it as-is, even if you end up with a thick spot within the dip. After the gold dip, carefully place the egg in the tinfoil ring to dry.
3. Once the gold-dip is dry, use a thin paint brush to paint horizontal black lines on the egg, all the way around. Vary the placement and thickness of the lines a bit to mimic the look of birch bark.
You may have to carefully hold the egg for a few minutes to let it air dry a bit before carefully setting it, gold top down, into the tinfoil ring to finish drying.
And that's it! While making them can be tedious with the drying time between steps, it's really quite easy. And in the event you don't feel like tackling this project yourself, I have a limited supply of painted Wooden Gold-Dipped Birch Eggs in my Etsy Shop!
New Year means time for new Resolutions. Usually they boil down to a lot of the same things, and a big one for us is always saving more where we can. Every year everything gets more expensive - groceries, gas, clothes, healthcare, etc but our paychecks always seem to stay the same.
I decided to compile some of my best blog posts on saving money and I hope it will help you jumpstart your savings too!
Saving on Groceries
Saving on Health Insurance & Medical Bills
Clean House, Make Money
Save on Special Events
Merry Christmas from Birch Landing Home!
Hope everyone has a healthy, happy Christmas with friends and family. I'll be taking a little break from the blog and social media this week to enjoy time with our family and hope you'll be doing the same - it's important to unplug every once and awhile :)
Thank you all so much for all the orders this season - it's been my busiest yet and I am so thankful to all of you! Thanks so much again and Happy New Year!
Last call, folks! Orders received by tomorrow night (12/10/16) are guaranteed to ship in time for Christmas. After that I will do my best to get all orders out ASAP, but I can make no promises that they will definitely make it in time.
Please click the "SHOP NOW" button below if you would like to order anything. Thanks so much again for all your support!
Pssst! We'll be having a sale all next weekend for Black Friday/Plaid Saturday/Cyber Monday! Be sure to check here on Friday for the sale code - and if you want to get it Thursday night make sure to sign up for our Newsletter below ;)