St. Patricks's Day is coming up and you need a to have a good Irish meal to celebrate - everybody is Irish on St. Patrick's Day afterall! "Bangers and Mash" (sausage and mashed potatoes) is one of my favorite Irish-inspired meals to make because it's easy and quicker than making corned beef and cabbage. And really - you just can't go wrong with sausage and potatoes!
Bangers + Mash
Total time 50 mins | Serves the whole clan!
- sausages, at least 2 per person (I believe it's traditionally supposed to be a sage-y sausage, but our local grocery store doesn't carry those - so I went with Sweet Italian)
- potatoes for mashing, my rule of thumb is at least 1.5 potatoes per person when figuring out how many to buy
- sweet onion
- head of cabbage
- salt + pepper to taste
- Wash, peel, and chop potatoes. Set them aside in a pot of salted water to boil.
- Pan fry sausages and onion until cooked through. Season with salt, pepper, and sage to taste towards the end of it's cooking.
- Chop some fresh cabbage and gently boil until wilted (just a few minutes).
- Once the potatoes are soft, drain them and mash with butter and milk until it's to your liking (feel free to also season with salt and pepper to taste).
- Serve! We like the sausages and onions on top of our mashed potatoes and the cabbage on the side.
Happy St. Patrick's Day - Sláinte!