This is one of my favorite hearty side dishes for anytime of year, though it probably is best suited for Fall. Very quick and easy to put together too! | This post contains affiliate links |
I call it my Harvest Side Dish because it's basis is Trader Joe's Harvest Grains Blend. I'm a huge fan of this mix, even on it's own. It makes a great side to dinner any night of the week and adding some of my favorite fall foods in there just makes it even more harvest-y (that's a word, right?).
Harvest Side Dish
Prep time 10 mins | Cook time 25 mins | Serves up to 8
- 1/2 a package of Trader Joe's Harvest Grains Blend (if not available you can substitute a mix of Israeli couscous, orzo, baby garbanzo beans, and red quinoa, totaling 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 small onion
- 1 apple
- 1 package of apple chicken sausage
- 1/2 tsp sage
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook Harvest Grains Blend (or your substitution) according to package directions.
- While that's cooking, cut up sausage and onion and saute in pan until cooked through, seasoning with sage, salt, and pepper. Add in chopped apples towards the end (I like them soft but not mushy).
- Once all your cooked ingredients are finished, mix together in a large bowl and serve hot.
- Enjoy - told you that was easy!