This simple, hearty meal is basically a variation of traditional Pork Pie. The recipe isn't exact and doesn't have to be.. I generally don't make anything the same way twice and always go by what looks good. You can follow along the recipe for a general idea but feel free to incorporate substitutions and make it your own.
Our family got a total of three deer this year and so venison has been on heavy rotation. We've been finding ways to sneak it into lots of different meals and this Venison Pie has been a favorite!
Prep time 50 mins | Cook time 30 mins | Serves up to 8
- 1 lb of ground venison
- 1 small onion, chopped (or about 1/3 cup chopped frozen onions)
- 1/2 tsp of Bell's Seasoning
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 3 medium potatoes, cooked and mashed
- pie crust mix (I use classic boxed Jiffy Pie Crust Mix)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start a pot of water boiling on a back burner. Meanwhile brown ground venison, onion, and Bell's Seasoning in a skillet, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Once browned add frozen corn, cover and simmer for about 30 mins. While that's simmering peel, chop, boil, and mash your potatoes.
- Mix mashed potatoes and browned meat mixture together and fill prepared pie crust.
- Bake at 450 degrees for about 30 mins. This meal goes great with baked beans or ployes.
Feel free to add more veggies or tweak the recipe however you like, sometimes I add mushrooms or shredded carrots to the mix.